Monday, July 11, 2011

Ipse venena bibas!



Today is St. Benedict of Nursia's feast day. St. Benedict is one of my "patrons". By patron I mean one the the saints whose prayers I specifically ask for on a regular basis. Being a person that suffers from scrupulosity I am a magnet for spiritual warfare. The devil is good at using my weakness against me, but thanks to St. Benedict I have been able to get the upper hand in my spiritual melees. The exorcism prayer on St. Benedict's Jubilee medal has been a powerful rally cry for me.

On the medal you find the initials V R S N S M V - S M Q L I V which stands for "Vade retro Satana! Nunquam suade mihi vana! Sunt mala quae libas. Ipse venena bibas! (Begone Satan! Never tempt me with your vanities! What you offer me is evil. Drink the poison yourself!)"

St. Benedict had to ward off evil on occasion. He thwarted a poisoning attempt by blessing a cup, thus shattering it and it is said that he was either fed or saved from another poisoning attempt by ravens, so if you see any ravens today you get bonus points for coolness.

Sanctus Benedictus ora pro nobis!

No comments:

Post a Comment